Wednesday 27 April 2011

Strawberry Fields



Hi readers!

I’ve inherited these 20 odd strawberry plants from my uncle. They were at the bottom of his garden and when I went to help my mum clean out his house, we found them and decided to bring them home. They needed lots of TLC and a lot of water, but now they are happily sitting at the top of my garden and flowering in the sunlight. I’ve never been that much into gardening, but I have to admit that The Secret Garden is one of my favourite films and has been for an age now! So I’ve rescued these strawberries in the spirit of that film really. It’s amazing how much they have grown in the last few days as well and I’ve been out checking on them and chatting to them…well they have proven that talking to plants does make them grown! But these guys are not my first strawberry plant and I’m hoping that most readers will remember Hairy Von Baron Strawberry.



He was given to me last year by my best friend and now he’s grown abit more and spreed out. So there’s more of him in the garden now! My new plants are out shining him though, because they have flowers already, but he’s showing any signs of bursting into bloom just yet…..Anyway I’ve got my hands full with guarding my strawbs against slugs and other bugs, luckily I’ve some help!





Gargoylesto keep away evil and Patch to keep me company. She looks so cute! So it looks like there’ll be a lot of homegrown strawberries for me this year. I’ve developed a taste for gardening now and I was thinking that if my writing falls through I’d take up being a gardener! Though at the minute it looks like things are taking off for me. I entered a competition with the first chapter of my novel and they accepted it for the first heat! So now, next Wednesday I’ve to go to Liverpool to read it out in front of the judges! I’m scared and excited and really not sure what to do with myself. I’m going to go for it though and try my best. I know my novel is still a mess, but someone might be interested in it and you don’t know what will happen till you give it a shot. So I’ll let you know how that goes next week!

I’ve been busy trying to do my project today, my Victorian English Lit essay, which is about the characters of Heathcliff and Mr. Rochester and how the Bronte sister as women writers created this powerful male characters. I’ve done about 300 words today, so it’s just over 1,000 out of the 3,000 it needs to be by Tuesday. It doesn’t help that I left the novels with all my notes in at my uni house, or the fact I’ve been distracted by a million other things! So tomorrow I must try harder, though I guess this is sort of like writing a story, it can’t be forced, though my deadline is nearly here. I know once I get back to uni and have my books I’ll be able to do it like that! But till then I’ve to chip away at it and try a different approach each time. I’ve to redraft my other essays too and make a plan for my last one. Still can’t believe that I’ll be starting my final essay soon. It’s a very scare thought.



And this is me sporting my new jacket! My mum finished knitting it for me the other day and I love it. Been wearing it every since really. It’s the perfect spring/summer cover up and it’s so nice. I’d love to knit something myself, but I just can never seem to get it right. I can knit, but I twist my wool up and I’m forever adding and losing stitches. Here’s a baby blanket I started the other day and well most of it is mum’s work, because the wool rebels against me too much. I’m getting back into the swing of it though, just takes awhile to get straight in my head….



That’s mostly it for today, though I’ve got a few more pics to put up….



Me and Patchy

Duck family!


No comments:

Post a Comment