Sunday 11 August 2013

Baking Day




Hi readers,

Here's something different for today! I'm letting my cooking side out and spending the day- well most of it- in the kitchen. I guess I felt like doing something different and I've not done baking in awhile. I guess after my last kitchen disaster when my butterfly fairy cakes (cupcakes) didn't turn out right at all, I sort of stopped because I was so disappointed by it. However, I've never been one to let things stop me ad it seems that taking a break and then returning to it does work.

I would say that I'm an good cook. I know my way around a kitchen, I know a number of recipes by heart and I've had enough practise. Sometimes though like most people, I have good days and bad days cooking. Though today seems to be a good one as my jammy fairy cakes have turned out just like the photo above! Actually this photo came from the recipe I followed too, so it worked out.

The reason why I like baking is because it gives me time to think- often story ideas! - be creative, experiment and be a bit artistic. I have found in the past that my baking can sometimes reflect my mood. The best things I've made have often been baked on the spur of the moment, when I've been relaxed and not putting much thought into what I am doing. This means that I use new or else very simple recipes at that moment. I then get the best results out of my baking.

The times when my baking has turned out wrong, have been when I've decided not to follow the recipe-for whatever reason- when I've been in a hurry or when I've been trying to hard because none-family members are going to be eating it. Often this means that I spend too much time thinking about it and wanting it to turn out perfect. That mind set can led to things not turning out right. Getting the balance correct is hard for me to do, but I keep trying!

I guess my baking can be compared to my writing in a way. When I don't think about things and just write, I end up producing something good. My writing has always had something of a natural flow within its structure and this does become clear when I've just got on and typed without stopping. It's odd, but I write when I've stopped thinking about and putting in the effort. I guess this way everything can just come out in a natural way and so it does appear like that on the page.

Like my bad cooking though, there are times when I've tried to hard or been over thinking about my writing. I produce 'bad' writing and end up giving up because I'm not in the writing mode. This can also lead to me doubting and judging what I've written. The typing often feels forced and the even though the flow might still be there, it might be harder to see.

Lemon_Orange_Muffin003.jpg

I also made some mini orange and lemon muffins, though the photo and recipe below are slightly different from the one I used as I couldn't find my one. However, it looks like they turned out good too and they smell so tasty! I can't wait to eat them now. I ended up making two different cakes because my brother doesn't like jam and I know he'd feel left out! Though to be honest, I feel like I could eat them all myself!

My parents have gone away for a few days, so I got left in charge of myself and my brothers when they are around. That also means I've had to do all the cooking, tidying and washing -though that doesn't feel un-normal for me now! For tea tonight I thought I'd have one of my favourite dish from university and that's bbq Huntsman chicken. I've just had a quick look for the recipe but I can't see it. The only difference is that you marinate the chicken bbq sauce and then add the bacon and cheese. It's just an awesome burst of flavours and goes with any side dish.




Tomorrow, I am going to try and cook something that I had at one of the restaurants we went to during the canal boat holiday. These sweet potato wedges tasted really good and were different from normal wedges and chips. So, I thought that they might go well with fish, but we shall see tomorrow. And with that I'm going to try one of my jammy cakes!




Photos and recipes:

http://www.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/recipes-inspiration/recipes/jammy-fairy-cakes/

http://www.jalna.com.au/cakes-muffins/lemon-and-orange-mini-muffins.html

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9839/bacon+and+cheese+chicken

http://www.sainsburys-live-well-for-less.co.uk/recipes-inspiration/recipes/sweet-potato-wedges/

No comments:

Post a Comment