Monday 13 January 2014

The Art Of Practicing



Hey readers,

As you might have noticed this post isn't a book review, but it does having reading and writing connections. It was inspired by yesterday and my sprocket pillow project, which went a bit wrong and reminded me why practice is important. I then realized that actually we need practice in most aspects of our lives, even if we don't think about it.

I thought that I was getting the hang of all this sewing and making, but since taking a break at Christmas, it seems I've lost some interested and also the patience. I guess before it was because I was making things for people and my creativity had more of a purpose. Now, I'm back to making things for myself, and whilst this is still fun, I don't really want to keep the stuff as I want other people to get joy out of it. The problem with that is that I need more practice if I want to sell my handmade things or else I need more friends to give stuff away to!

It can be difficult though and making the cushion yesterday proved that I'd yet to have enough practice. I've still not got the technique of using the sewing machine, even though I try and believe that I've done. I jammed it up and mum had to take it apart to un-jam it. Then she didn't want to let me back on to it just in case, so she ended up sewing the cushion together. As it was going to be one of those days though, when she was done it turned out I'd not cut the shapes all the same size and it meant that they didn't meet right in the middle. Lucky, a large button can cover that and its' not that noticeable really. I so wanted to give up, even before I'd probably started sewing it. However, mum wouldn't let me and she also reminded me about not giving up when things get tough!

So, it's clear I need more time to learn the art of sewing and that though I don't fully believe that practice can make perfect, it does show through time. Understanding this, got me reflecting on my writing. It took me awhile to learn how to craft a novel and there's still areas which I'm learning about. I think that's true of anything though, because even though we might have mastered something, there can always been something else to learn. My writing was self taught in the beginning and I learned by studying novels and then trying to write my own. I learned how to edit too and that only came through practicing.

I think sometimes that even published writers cane find themselves in the practicing stage when they try and write in a different style or subject. It can be a bit hidden or else not really thought about and it's nice to practice without really knowing it because then you're not thinking about everything else that's associated with it. Like failure or success or having to try again or it not turning out as you imagined.... Now, practicing with knowing is better because at least you can see that you are learning and that the finished project was just that and you can try again and make it better or else as you actual want it.

Not giving up ties in with this and though I might not have been able to make my cushion yesterday without help, I still achieved something out of it. Like this blog post and my cushion. That's always going to be an important part of practicing, because no matter what happens, you'll have learnt something from it. I really like the quote below actually, because it fits in well with all of this.
   


So, finally here is my cushion. It did turn out alright and it's comfy enough. I've got some other patterns for a square and apple core patchwork cushions. That's a project for later though, as I plan to have a go at using some old jeans to make a scotty dog key ring. Denim also looks good as cushions, so I'll add that to my list.




You can find the pattern here;
http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2011/03/tutorial-sprocket-pillows.html

PS. If you've not given Night Vale a listen yet then do so!

http://commonplacebooks.com/welcome-to-night-vale/


Images:
http://www.drmichellemazur.com/2012/03/practice-presentation-speech.html
http://www.quotesforthemind.com/
Author's own

No comments:

Post a Comment