Tuesday 12 March 2013

Still Struggling

'Well, I can't give any more, So now I'm giving up. 'Cause nothing's ever good enough.'
 
These lyrics from Good Enough by Hoobstank might be taken out of content, but they really say what I am feeling right. However, the other side of my mind is fighting against that and trying to stay positive, but that's a hard thing to do when you are feeling down and worthless. I don't want this post to be an emotional out pouring of my issues, I'd rather do that in private, but I've not written in awhile and well, I've got things on my mind. So maybe my out pour will help people to think or find their own voices on these matters.
I've just completed my four weeks of work experience. I wrote a few weeks back to say I was starting it and I did want to write another post about my experiences there, but I've been really busy and tried. Plus trying to juggle everything was really hard. Now that's it's over I've gone back to having more time, but I already miss it because I had something physical to do and I was motive. I got on with the people and became a team member too. I liked having different stuff to do each day and though some of the tasks did get boring and I did repeat things, I still give it my all and worked to a high standard. At the end of the day it proved I could work in an office and that I do fit the role of receptionist/admin, which was what I really wanted out of it.
It can be easy to become stuck with certain skills and not be able to expend out. Thinking in terms of a writer this seems true, but actually I know we do a lot more then that. A writer has to take on all the roles in a business team generally; boss, receptionist, admin, PA, account, writer, editor, proof-reader, researcher, mentor, tea maker and drinker. They sometimes become publisher too. I guess we don't realise that though, but it is true. Having a job like a plumber or electrician can bottle the skills and some people feel like they can't gain anything different. That's not true. There seems to be more courses and sessions then ever before now to expend skills and knowledge. I don't believe that a person can say they know everything. They might know a lot, but that knowledge won't be about everything in the world. However, I do think that people can reach a point where they don't think they can gain any more skills or knowledge. Sort of like me. What I lack is the experience and right now I think that is something most people suffer from.
Yes, my work experience went well, but as of yet it hasn't helped me into a job. I have no idea why and if I knew what the issue was I'd be trying to fix it. However, I know everything is fine at my end. The problem seems to be with the employers. So granted I won't be suitable for every job I apply for, but I've not even been given the chance to prove I could do the job with some of the others I've applied for. I don't know why I'm being so over looked and I don't know how to change this. I know there are certain things to put in cover letters and in CVs to attract the eye and make mine standout, but even that seems to have got me no where. Knowing the reasoning behind that would make me feel better, but I guess employers don't have the time for such things.
You know what else gets to me though? This reliance on technology. Grated it is easier to write and send off job applications and its easier to find jobs. But I hate these personality and other quizzes some companies make you take. I get the idea of it is to cut the number of applicants so that only the ones suitable for the job can go of interview, but the problem with these quizzes is that it can under value some people. Like me, because I suck at those quizzes. For example, today I did a quiz for a customer service job at a bank. Now you'd think that I'd be a good person to give an interview to because I've had experience and loved doing a customer service role. I've just proved I can work in an office and do admin duties. Okay, so I've not got an experience selling products to people, but I had to sell my uni to visitors and I was able to do that. I'm young, hard working, wanting to learn and meet new people. I'm good with computers and I've a good phone manner. I'm not so good with numbers, but I've learned how to cope with that over the years. I just don't understand and once again I'm starting to think there's a problem with myself and that's the reason why I'm struggling. The other thing
I also hate is how some companies want you to fill out a form that basically is your CV but just differently formatted. I don't understand why they bother with this, because it means you have to spend more time sending them information that you are already sending to them in your CV and most of the time there's no space for expending on things like the modules you took or else going into detail about your last job. So that seems pointless to me and gets me wondering why they just can't be happy with a CV? I think that applying for jobs in some cases has become a lot more harder and complicated thanks to technology. You spend ages filling in stuff and then don't get anywhere because you forgot to tick one box as it got lost under something else. Worse yet is when the website crashes or doesn't save! I can think of lots of times I've just finished off an applications or part of one and it's not saved or sent because of a problem on their website. Life was easier when you could go into these places and ask to speak to someone about the job. You could hand in a CV and talk to the people. You could leave feeling satisfied that they will call you back, whilst instead when you click that send button it just feels like a relieve to have completed all the forms.
I've not really put this into the actual context I meant to write it under. Basically, this whole thing has come about because my adviser at the jobcentre put me down this morning. I know that I am on her target list to get off jobseekers and into work. She thought it would be an easy enough thing to do and that I'd have got something a few months after signing on. It's not been the case and I keep coming back. I hate going to the job centre and I hate having to sign on even more. It makes me feel so useless and like a bad child at school. I know its not true, because I've a good education and have proven I can do so many things. I've also proven I'm doing all I can to find work and I don't think I could give any more. I feel like they should be offering more support to me and getting me to stay positive. Instead when I leave I feel so upset and depressed by the whole thing. Of course that then means I'm not in the mood to look for a job and like now I end up questioning myself and trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Plus it also impacts on my whole day. I was at the jobcentre for half ten this morning and its now twenty to eight and its still all on my mind, worrying me and making me feel bad and emotional. At the end of the day, that shouldn't be happening and that's not how I should be feeling after speaking to them. Maybe next time I shall have to find my voice and tell her to stop putting me down.
Technically, I shouldn't be there anyway and if I had it my way -job or no job - I wouldn't go. My problem is the money and the hole that would create on my CV. I need the money, so that I can travel to interview places, so that I can have down time with my friends- though its been ages since I was last out drinking and mostly this time has now became dates with my boyfriend-so I can buy stuff and not feel like a teenager begging money off my family. I actually save my money too. I keep it and only spend it when I need to. I buy myself a small treat like a new book or cd or my favourite sweets once a month if that. I'd like more money to become independence, to learn how to drive and to save up to get my own place.
I need to end on a positive note or else I'm just going to go to bed tonight in this depressed mood. So, here is my one good piece of news today. When I got home of the job centre, they phoned me to tell me that a job had come up and that they had recommended me for it. I just needed to send my CV to the place and then hopefully I'd be called for an interview. Now the job is actually something I could do and would be very happy to be doing as its selling books. So, now I'm just waiting to hear back and I'm keeping fingers crossed for it.
For my next post I want to write about e-books and the changing reading habits of people because its been on my list to write for ages and I so need to do it. I also want to get that new review started on my other blog and see how that goes. So, look out for those.


1 comment:

  1. hey there and thank yοu for уour
    infо – I've definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this web site, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I'm
    сomplаining, but slow loading
    inѕtances timeѕ will verу fгequently affeсt youг plaсement in gоogle and could damagе
    yοur high quality scorе if adνertisіng
    and marκeting with Aԁwоrds. Wеll I
    аm аdding thiѕ RSS to my emаil anԁ
    can look out for a lοt more οf your respectiνe exciting
    content. Ensure that you update thiѕ agаin very soon.


    Feel free to surf to mу page - toyalert.com

    ReplyDelete