Wednesday 24 March 2010

Exploring Bronte Country


Hey, on sunday my family and I went to Haworth villiage which was where the Bronte sisters lived and wrote their novels. This trip was suggested by my mum because I told her that I had to read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre for my 3rd year eng lit. I'm not too keen on this kind of novel- period romance- because I normally read vampires and fantasy, so my mum thought that if I could see where the inspiration for the novels had come from that I might get into them.

I think that I might prove her true! I had a good time in Haworth wondering around and reading the guide book. I would read random facts out to my family and I took a lot of photos! I liked exploring the graveyard at the church where the Brontes went to. This is because one of my hobbies is studying headstones and looking at their design. There was a lot of intersting headstones to see!

We also walked through some of the countryside which inspired Wuthering Heights. There were some really nice views! I could see why such places would get people writing. There were lots of walks we could have taken but we took a small short cut root and headed off to Haworth cemtery.



There I found some more intersting headstones and my parents had to drag me out of there because I was just wondering and taking photos for far too long! We wondered back to the village then and I brought a book about ghosts in Haworth which was really great because it was about the graveyard as well, so I found some more graves that needed to be visited.





I didn't get any story or poem ideas through, but I did get a deeper understanding of how the Bronte sisters lived and I'm hoping that this is going to get me into the novels now. Speaking of which they came today with some of the others I've to read. I've got 3 chapters of Kell's Legend left to read...wonder how long I can draw them out for......

No comments:

Post a Comment