Friday 23 April 2010

Fiction Field Trip



Yesterday, I went on a field trip with my fiction group to the Liverpool World Museum. The idea behind it was to become inspired through the images we could find in the museum exhibits and then have story ideas for the last fiction assessment. I'd been to the museum a few times before and its still pretty good. I always see something new and enjoy wondering around the display cases. Things were a bit different this time because we were there to work and I took a lot of photos, which I'm hopefully going to create a murder mystery story out of and had two ideas.

Striking a pose.

There's something above you.....




I think most of my class had fun too and I'm looking foreword to reading their stories in a workshop next week. I've already written my story, though I'm not sure what people are going to make of it because it has a number of different levels and I'm still not happy with it. It's a case of I know what I want to say, but I can't express it through words. Hopefully someone can give me a hand with it.



There was a new exhibit too, a plant world and it was very interactive. I think the small group I was with spent most the time in this room, though we did get to see the bugs and the Ancient worlds. We were meant to concentrate on the bugs, because the stories have to involve them. It seemed to be a good subject because the bug world is so large and can be used in many different contexts.


Discovering a new world......

So going to museums can be really useful for writers because not all only can you have ideas but you can get background information too. I've a strange love for museums and such places anyway, thanks to my parents and being taken to many places when I was young. In fact, beside from writing, reading and playing Facebook games, there's nothing I like better then exploring a new place! Be it woods, countryside, beach, castle or a cemetery, I just love walking and connecting with nature. I've some of my best ideas in theses places too!


The world of the ancients....





Well...when in Roman you've got to look the part!



Who says mummies are not scary????

Before I go off to get ready for a night out, I'm going to share my current reading material! It's a newish novel by John Drake and the second in a trilogy. It's called Pieces of Eight and the first one was Flint and Silver. These novels are about the events before Treasure Island and answers some of the questions that were created, but not answered. I'm loving reading them, the story telling is just so good and the adult-ness that I was seeking from Island and never found is very clear in here! So I'd recommend them for anyone who loves Island and pirates.


No comments:

Post a Comment