Tuesday 24 August 2010

Lots to say in this small space!


Hi, followers!

I've been away on holiday again and this time I was staying on a narrow boat and traveling along the Grand Union Canal. Me and my family hired a 6 bed boat called the Carisbrooke Castle and it was massive! A living room, kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms and seats at the front and back of the boat. The space was so needed because we took Sandy- my dog-with us as well.



Most of the time we were just relaxing and watching the world pass us by. Everything seems slower on the boat because you are just traveling gently along the water and watching the nature and other boats around you. The other times were spent dealing with the locks. They are scary things at first and do take awhile to get use to. They are used to get a boat up or down because the canal fits in with the landscape and therefore has different water levels.
This is a lock.

So, firstly the water inside the lock must be at the same level the boat is at. If not the water must be flooded or drained from the lock and this is done by using a windless to wind the paddles on the gates up or down so that the water can flow. Once this is sorted the boat can go in the lock and both gates and the paddles get shut.
Next, the paddles are open on the other gate, so that the water can drain/flood to make it level on the next side. Once this is done, the gates can be opened to let the boat go on. There are lots of different kinds of locks and most of them can fit two boats in. Some are single, but you can get a staircase 2/3 locks together or a flight 3+ all after each other, others can have 2 sets of paddles and the bottom ones must be open first or the boat could be filled with water!



The locks were the hardest part. I mega enjoyed all the nature though! check these pics out.










Those are like my highlights. So after all that fun, today has been an important day for me. I started my volunteering job today at the RSPCA Charity shop. The only thing I did was put clothes on hangers and putting tags on the clothes. I did some teddies too and that was about it. I've got to go back tomorrow, so hopefully they'll give me some more things to do, I get bored so easily!
Also I got fitted for contact lenses today. I had to have new glasses first because my eye sight has changed again. I don't much have a choice where my glasses are concerned because I need to wear them 24/7 and without them I just can't see anything! So now I've some cool brown square shaped glasses that look really nice and also I'm able to wear the standard contacts which is mega good. I've to wait a week now for them, can't wait!
That's about it for today anyway, think that's enough.








No comments:

Post a Comment