Saturday 5 December 2015

Leeds Steampunk Market and Christkindlmarkt




Hi readers,

I'm slotting this post in before my first December update to bring you my day trip out to Leeds! Though to be honest I'm feeling really tired and I just want to snuggle in bed with a book. The weather has been rough today- very windy and rainy. Driving on the motorway was difficult (I didn't drive by the way, not insured yet) and scary as the wind was really blowing the car around. My actually day out was good though, but I didn't get to visit the cemetery and the Thackray museum still scares me. It's dedicated to the history of medicine, hospitals, doctors, nurses and patients, which for someone who has a big issues and a slight phobia of hospitals and medical stuff isn't good.

The Steampunk market made it worth it though! If you don't know anything about Steampunk here's a post I did on it awhile back; http://hailscrazyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/steampunk-introduction-to-genre.html I've written about Steampunk and the market at the mill before. It was from there that I found out the Leeds one was worth a visit. They have four throughout the year and this was the last one for 2015. There was a lot of interesting stalls, a few of which didn't seem that steampunky to me, but I enjoyed seeing things I wouldn't be able to see anywhere else, like for example the guy who made robots out of recycled metal things and give them each a background story, he could even make a personalised ones.

There were some stalls selling clothes, which I always love looking at even though I can't fit in anything and it's expensive. I didn't go dressed up by the way. The hour traveling and the fact I wanted to be warm and comfy for the day saw to that. I've got a picture of me dressed up from the Mill market though. I was actually just looking for my post about the Mill and I can't seem to find it. I'm sure I did one though!


There were a lot of stalls selling jewelry, most of which was of course Steampunk and fantasy styled. I didn't see anything I really liked though, other then different versions of a pendent which my best friend had actually brought me for Christmas! I saw the dragon love necklace my boyfriend got me for our first year together. I'm excited to see what he's got me from Christmas at the moment. There were hats stall too and I so would love a hat, but I don't have a lot of things to wear one too!

There was also a glass etched stand, which had some cool designs printed on the beer glasses. There was a woman selling fairy like wings and other stuff, who had a pet skunk. I've don't think I've seen one in real life before and I do have to admit I thought it was fake the first time I saw it! Someone else was selling old army uniforms for reenactors and there was this man who made like Victorian style props. My mum brought this device which is meant to turn people having a secret conversations in a public place invisible! She said it'd be handy in the office and also she liked the flashing lights.  

I meet three authors who were selling their own published books. I connect with two of these and brought their books. I also told them about my blog and writings. I feel inspired to put together that collection of short stories I keep saying I'm going to do and have another go at trying to actually earn some money from my stories. Both of their books seems interesting and I've added them to the review list, though it won't be till next year now. I've got the second book of The Bone Season and another book to read first before anything else.  



There were two other stalls my mum and I got things off. The first was a beauty/bath one that was all like home made things. I got some cooling liniment for my back (I pulled a muscle last weekend and I'm still in pain) It smells like mint and I put some on before I sat down and it does seemed to have helped! I got some chocolate sugar lip scrub, mainly because it was in the sale items and I've always wanted to try some. The ones at Lush are too expensive and I've not got the time to make my own, though I've read it's very simple. Anyway, this one was really nice and my lips do feel better, less dry and chapped. I also got an apple and cinnamon scented bath fizz which also has popping candy in it. That smells so nice and reminds me of autumn - which I'm missing already! My mum got a few others things; a mint lip scrub, some massage oil and lavender oil. I picked up a card too and so in the future we can order more things. Here's a photo;


The other stall we got stuff off was a mixture of little gift like things. To be honest I can't remember what else was on it because I was so distracted by the clay dragons. There were four different sizes, lots of colors and characters. I picked out a large blue one for mum because I liked the fairy style wings and he seemed like a dragon with attitude. I picked out a light purple one then a darker baby one to go with it. Mum got the other two small ones, because they need friends! They are so cute though and I've got mine on my desk right now. The photo really doesn't show their full cuteness! 


I got everyone's business card too. I've included the links at then end if anyone fancies checking then out.


  
We then left and drove a few minutes into the Leed's center. There we walked around the Christkindlmarkt or German Market. The wind and rain picked up when we arrived though, but the market was only small and in one area - unlike the Manchester Christmas market and I do plan to write about that when I go maybe next weekend of the one after. The place was more packed then the Steampunk market had been and as the afternoon got later more people arrived. We didn't buy anything other then some hot potato cakes/ rostis to share. Mum was tempted by a dragon which when you burnt an incest stick inside let the smoke escape out of his nose and mouth, but it was expensive and we don't have anywhere to really put it.

I did try to take some photos, but the weather, the dying light and the horde of people made it hard. I always end up feeling embarrassed too. I'm not sure why when people use their phone cameras and selfie sticks, because it's not like my camera is that big anyway. I don't know, maybe because I've been told off before and I really don't like that. I'll have to try harder at the Manchester one if I go.






So that was my day. What have you been doing today? Let me know in the comments and add anything else you want me to see in there too. I reply back to everyone, so don't be shy. Come back Monday for my Update post and please check out The Story Files. Thanks for reading.


Links:
https://www.facebook.com/thestoryfiles/
http://www.thackraymedicalmuseum.co.uk/
http://www.leedssteampunkmarket.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/CraigHallamAuthor/?fref=ts
http://carliemartece.com/
http://www.bimble.eu/
http://www.beckettstreetcemetery.org.uk/

Photos;
Google maps
All my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment