Thursday 20 September 2012

D&D parts 3 and 4 - Your Secret Mission Is....If you choose to accept it!

 


I didn't get a chance to write about last week's D&D encounter. I'd spent the day in hospital before going to play and so was unfocused on what was happening. Though I do remember most of it. Being ill means that I've not got around to writing the events up so now I'm having to do a joint post for last week's and this week's encounters. I'm still very ill right now and also I'm now coming down with a cold, but as normal my mind is pretty active and wants to get busy. So, we'll see how much I can type before I feel the need to nap again....

Now last week was the ending of the first mission and at the start you got to choice which house you wanted to belong to. There are three different houses: Xorlarrin, Melarn and Bregan D’aerthe (my house) and the DM give each person a secret mission connected to their houses. I believe if I'd been more awake and not in pain, I would have remembered the need to act on my secret mission, but I was still fuzzy and when the time to step up came, I didn't. True there was nothing I could actually do, because I had moved to the back of the group and wasn't in range of the Drow Priestess, but I should have got the other person in my house, who actually attacked her and killed her, to carry out the mission. My boyfriend did remember and suggested it, but it was a bit too late and Bregan D'aerthe failed their first secret mission.

The Melarn house completed theirs, which we learnt was to carry out the ritual and get the Demon Weave started. There was another choice at the start of the game and that was which you wanted your end goal to be and who's side you were actually going to stand on. You could stand with Lolth and help create her Weave, be against her and try to take her out or just be against her creating the Weave. I'm not going to tell you what I picked! Of course before we got a chance to try and carry out the secret missions we had to do some more fighting. It was against the Priestess and her guards. I did pretty well with my cross bow and the dice were really in my favour as I took two of the guards out and helped bloody another. So, small victories for me then!

It was also interesting how the group decided to spilt itself too. I've read very little about Drow society and also about D&D itself....maybe there's a For Dummies book about it, but I properly could do with getting my hands on some books and doing some more on line reading. I believe I'm getting seriously in to playing now, but unlike some 'serous' players, I still just see it was a social game and being told a story which you then get to interactive with. Now, my group for the most part did stick together, beside from one guy who decided to walk all around the board and then found out that actually you couldn't enter the last room and get behind the enemies! He then had to walk all the way back again and maybe because of this when the DM asked him if he wanted to switch sides and become in league with the Priestess, he agreed! (Now the DM had asked everyone but me. I was still at the back of the group firing arrows everywhere.) But it was fool on him really, because the Priestess used him as a pawn and he then decided to turn traitor on us! Bad move as my boyfriend- who'd died on week 2-had come back with a mega strong warrior and when he got attacked decided to try and kill the traitor off. Okay, now this is where it get weird because then some of the other players decided to attack the warrior and let the traitor live, so my boyfriend's character died once again.....

I had the choice to stand up and fight against them in sort of like a mini revenge attack, but they outnumbered me and I am but a small female Drow rouge with a short bow and short sword. So, it wouldn't have been very wise to launch an attack. However, Drow I am learning only look out for themselves and can be very treacherous even to members of their own house. My overall plan has always been to stick as a team player, for what you learn very quickly in D&D is that only by working together can the enemies be defeated and the missions- secret and normal-be completed. So, once again last week I had to give out sympathy hugs and kisses to my guy and of course nobody minds doing that!

(okay it's taken me nearly 10 minutes to figure out how to spell 'treacherous'. The joys of being dyslexic where words so don't look how you'd sound spell them and to be honest that doesn't even look like it reads treacherous!)


Let me just explain this before I get on to this week's encounter. I wanted a D&D image of some minions because they were some of the monsters we had to face. However, instead of some scary looking monsters I ended up with multi-images of these cute guys from the Despicable Me film. And I thought well they'll lighten up these dark D&D images and so here they are. Frankly, these guys are to cute to engage in battle with....So, here's another image which is a bit more realistic, though we didn't have to fight as many minions!


Yesterday then, we started a new mission and we had to rescue the head of the Xorlarrin house who'd been kidnapped. We all got another secret mission and I'm not going to mine state just yet. We had to battle our way into this house where we believed the kidnapped Drow was being held. That battle was tough and everyone took a lot of damage and another character bit the dust-thankfully not my boyfriend! that would've been a bit too much bad luck!- We barely made it through though and then I sort of forgot the secret mission. The battle had just ended and my mind was busy wondering what to do now. Once again I'd stuck at the back of the group and just been firing my bow and arrows. Which is very effective and I do seem to get more hits and create a lot more damage to enemies that way.

The other person in my house sort of did it and my boyfriend, who's character at this point was laying unconscious on the floor near death, started poking me and trying me to do the secret mission. But my brain just drew a blank on what I was meant to do, which was actually something very simple and very sneaky, but I totally forgot in those few moments. He give up poking me in the end, but to be honest I wasn't sure how to even go about it because I couldn't announce my movements to the group-then the other house would know I was up to something and the DM was a bit busy reading the end of the encounter by the time my brain had figured out what it was I was meant to be doing!

Hopefully, I'll get another chance to have a go at doing the secret mission next week. The wizards we had to face were pretty hard to beat and they kept casting a range of spells on everyone. I guess my highlight of the battle had to be the goblin balancing and then moving around the edge of this fountain. One of the guys had choice to play as a goblin, but like all non-Drow characters, he was a slave and the servant of our Priestess healer. The RP was really funny and brought a bit of light into the darkness of the battle. To keep his distance from the fight, but still be useful, he jumped up on fountain and shuffled around the edges when he needed to move. Just the image of this in my head seems really funny.

Lastly, I found this website whilst looking for the minion images and it looks very interesting
http://dungeonsmaster.com  I don't think I posted up that one last time. I've a few more things to add to today's post, but it's pretty big already and the things are none-D&D related. However, I want to write another post later on this evening about a review I want to do, so I'll properly add those things at the end or else just write another post tomorrow...too many choices!

Images from:

http://muluc85.deviantart.com/art/Drow-Priestess-121639536

http://dungeonsmaster.com/2011/07/two-hit-minions/

http://maurolongo.wordpress.com/2012/01/15/dd-4ed-un-bilancio/

No comments:

Post a Comment