Thursday 21 November 2013

Keep Calm and Sew!

my sewing kit - cherryandcinnamon


It's strange to think that up until ten or twenty years or so ago, most women knew how to sew. They knew how to make clothes, toys and home furnishing by hand and using a machine. Many could also design their own patterns and create something new that fitted their needs. Girls were taught the basic techniques in schools or extra classes or else by family members. They also learned to knit, crotchet, cross stitch and anything else that falls into this category.

Now though, it seems to me that these skills are slowly fading, yet the demand for handmade items is still high. No longer are people being taught how to sew in schools and family members haven't been teaching each other because everyone is just too busy or else it doesn't interested them. Plus, nearly all items can now be made via machines and thus given the 'handmade' look. This means that shops can sell this stuff cheaply and sometimes it can be more cheap then the materials needed and the work being put in! So, people take the easy route and just go with the handmade style look to their clothes or furnishings. Of course there's nothing wrong with this, but to me it shouldn't be allowed to take over.

In a way, this decline of sewing reminds me of all the other skills that people have or are losing. Most of them seem to be hands on skills like carpenters, blacksmiths, farriers, old fashion farming and some engineering jobs. They've mostly fallen into history because of the new technical and peoples ways of looking at things. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing, it just seems a shame to me that these jobs are not popular anymore.

  

I should get back to the actual point of this post now. I recently discovered a hidden talent and love for sewing that maybe had been overshadowed by all my other hobbies. Working with older children at the youth club and teaching them the basics of sewing by hand and creating a whole range of items, was the trigger. I never really thought about where my talent might have come from but on reflection I can so place it!

Crafting seems to have always been in my family one way or another. I have memories of curling by my nana's gas fire in the dim light whilst she crotchet blankets, dollies and dolls' clothes. I have a few she made in my bedroom, but where the rest went to I've no idea. I always remember her crocheting and knitting though and her needles always being close to hand. My grandmother, who I never meet was also into the same hobby, but she was also a fan of cross stitching. My mum can do everything, but crochet as she finds that too tricky, which is a weird thing to say. She has always been into making clothes, toys and cross stitch pictures.

My first memory of my mum making something for me was my school uniforms. I hated wearing them- not because they were handmade- but because they looked slightly different from the brand new uniforms that everyone else wore. My mum said that I was too tall for my age and she couldn't find any uniform that fitted me, so she decided that making one would be easier. I think that memory caused me to be put off handmade clothes for years. Then due to getting into making cards and scrapbooks, I become interested in knitting and so encouraged my mum to get back into knitting. Thus she has made me some nice jumpers, jackets and soft toys over the last few years. She also taught me how to knit, but I still have a lot to learn!

On reflection, the youth factory really did inspire me to start sewing again. I remember that we had a session making squishes. Which are soft flat-ish toys made from white cotton and fabric pens. I knew I could do that on my own and so did create some hearts and stars. Then I moved on from that made myself a cushion to take to Dungeons and Dragons with me. Then it just kicked off and now I seem unable to stop myself from making things out of fabric and felt. I've found that working with both is relaxing and fills the time. It's also helped me with my depression.

It does take awhile to decided what to make, but I just Google for inspiration and the Pinterest it. Thus I have two boards of things to make. Now the actually making part can take forever, but the end results always seem to be worth the time spent. I've actually decided to make Christmas presents for my family and friends as I've the time and though it might not seem cheaper over all, it's good fun. This does mean that I can't show all my creations, but here are a few;








                                                                                                                                                                 
The other thing I've been making are these candle jars. I was inspired by a walk though I saw on Pinterest and so have made my own. The first is made with actual dry leaves and the second is made with skeleton paper leaves. Both look really good though.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Images from;
http://cherryandcinnamon.com/tag/vintage/
http://dict.space.4goo.net/dict?q=forge
Author's own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment